Using SSL Certificate ONLY for RDG/RDP

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.
None of the below questions are applicable to my request:

1. I need an SSL Certificate ONLY to be able to use Remote Desktop Gateway (RDG) to access my home-office workstations when I travel. I currently have a domain with GoDaddy which acts only as an RDG Server.

2. If I obtain one of your free SSL Certificates, would I use that domain? If, on the other hand I drop my GoDaddy domain and get a new one somewhere else, would I be able to change the domain, or would I have to get a new cert?

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

Certs can be used for many things.
The RDG gateway software should provide the requirements and some detail on how to setup and operate it.
If you have already got it to work, you simply need to update that process to obtain/use a free cert from LetsEncrypt.

The domain? or a host? (acts as an RDG server)
or both?
What does GoDaddy bill you for?

Domains and certificates are related but not one and the same.
Given: You would have to have a functional FQDN to get an LE cert.
So, "yes" you could use the domain in that cert.
But to be clear: Certs don't come with a domain included. You have to have a domain before you can get a cert.

The cert would fail to work:

1. If the domain in the cert is "dropped" and there is no longer any DNS service attached to that domain - global DNS is unable to resolve your FQDN to an IP.
  2. The certificate expires every 90 days (and it can no longer be renewed - because you "dropped" that domain)

So, you would have to have a functional domain and the cert would have to match the current name.
Thus any change in the name would require a change to a matching cert.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.