Uninstall Certbot from Windows Server 2019

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:hagimo.com

I ran this command:certbot certonly --webroot d hagimo.com

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version): A stream of unprintable characters, interspersed with some messages, including one saying that the /.well-known directly wasn't empty or accessible. Running as administrator, and just for testing, I ran the webserver as admin as well - same results.

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Windows Server 2019 Standard (64)

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: N/A (colo)

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): Yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No, Remote Desktop.

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): 1.14.0

I don't need to fix the error - that window is passed. I need to get certbot uninstalled, but when I uninstall it (logged in as administrator), I get this error:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item."

I have a feeling this is associated with the scheduler, but certbot was never able to successfully download the cert, so it may not have written anything to the scheduler yet (which would make sense). I've looked for step-by-step instructions on manually removing it online, but searches tend to come back with info on removing certificates, not certbot. Can anyone point me towards accurate certbot manual removing instructions for Windows Server?

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi, if you just delete the Certbot Renew Task in Windows Task Scheduler then that effectively stops any further attempted use of certbot. To fix the uninstall in add/remove programs you could optionally re-install certbot then uninstall it again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.