Unexpected error 429



I’m trying to issue a certificate consisting of 6 domain names, but I’m hitting error 429, saying I have too many pending authorizations. I have not been issuing any certificate for the past days, and weeks have passed since last time I first tried issuing this cert in particular, so it looks like some kind of permanent issue. What could be the culprit?


Are you certain that you don’t have a cron or anything running which could be making requests by accident (that you intended for renewals ) ?

are you on a shared server ? or a dedicated server ?


Thanks for your answer!

There’s no letsencrypt-related cronjob (nor any certificate-related at all), I’m on a dedicated server and I’m the only one with root access.


well the rate limits for pending authorizations are 300 per account per week.

Can I ask what you sort of commands / what have you been trying in the week ? it is slightly odd if you haven’t had any certificate related cron running to have reached this limit - which is basically that you have requested a domain name be authorized without actually fulfilling on the request itself and obtaining the certificate.


I solved the problem.
Seems to be some issue with the Webmin module when using its tiny-acme client. I installed the letsencrypt client to let Webmin use that instead (from jessie-backports) and it worked.
No idea why tiny-acme was triggering a ratelimit error, unless it was having issues parsing an error coming from LE, which was actually related to a A record missing but in no way related to ratelimits. Perhaps a Webmin bugreport about this should be created. Makes way more sense now.
Thank you for your assistance!


This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.