Unable to find a virtual host listening on port 80

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: go.callebisu.com callebisu.com

I ran this command: certbot --apache -d go.callebisu.com

It produced this output:
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator apache, Installer apache
Starting new HTTPS connection (1): acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org
Obtaining a new certificate
Performing the following challenges:
http-01 challenge for go.callebisu.com
Cleaning up challenges
Unable to find a virtual host listening on port 80 which is currently needed for Certbot to prove to the CA that you control your domain. Please add a virtual host for port 80.

My web server is (include version): (VPS) Goofle Cloud Platform

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): CentOS 7.7.1908

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): certbot 1.0.0

I am trying to install a web application called “GoAutodial” and in fact it is already installed and working, but it is generating an error that in order to solve it I must place an SSL certificate, when trying to do it with Certbot it generates the error mentioned above. I have tried to search and edit the configuration files without success, perhaps because the ones I have followed are web pages and in my case it is not a web page is a web application with domain, the domain is gocallebisu.com and the one of the web application is go.callebisu.com.

Any help or ideas on how I can solve that problem?

1 Like

If you don’t have a web server, you can still get a cert.
The simplest option is to use the --standalone option; which will spin up a temporary web server only to validate the HTTP challenge requests.
You will need to allow port 80 to reach the system directly from the Internet.
And you may need to include --certonly so that certbot doesn’t try to modify and web configs to automatically use the new cert.
[which means you will have to config the app to use the cert - but I suspect you already knew that]

1 Like

Thanks, i will try this, and come back with de output,

And yes, i know that i have to config the app after it

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.