Trusted certificate for a webcam

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: pilgramsberg.dyndns.org

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): NO

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

I want to create a certificate for a webcam. Cam should be accessible via https://dyn-xy.dyndns.org
without a error message (untrusted certificate / self-signed cert) or so...

I CAN create a CSR file from the AXIS camera; but how to proceed?
Thanks!
Anderas

1 Like

Hi @fischerandreas, and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

I would start at the AXIS support site to see if they have any instructions on how to use a trusted certificate with their camera systems. Ensure you choose a method that can be automated OR you will be stuck doing a manual process every <90 days :frowning:

We are here more to help with obtaining certificates; This is more of a "how to use" a certificate problem - one that is very vendor specific.

Depending on various unknown things...
You might be able to use a design where you put the camera behind a proxy and have the proxy handle the encryption part.

3 Likes

If automation isn't possible, I'm afraid this is also a "how can I manually get a certificate" topic.

Although personally I'd build some script to automate everything anyway, even if I have to make the script use the HTML pages of the webcam :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

We'll know more once we've heard from the camera support channel(s).
[we'll burn that bridge when we get to it!]

2 Likes

Based on this documentation you can upload a PFX file, which is an archive containing a certificate, intermediates and the private key, also called a .p12 file.

I'm assuming this is it:

@fischerandreas Are you more familiar with Windows or Linux?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.