Transferring cert registrar from ssl.com

Hello,
I let my cert expire that was previously created using ssl.com. I've since created the cert on my server using LE. How long should it be before browsers stop saying my certificate has expired?

My domain is:

SSL Page:
https://netbrackets.com:8443/cgi-bin/WebObjects/netbrackets.woa/wa/userLoginNoSession

I ran this command:
http://netbrackets.com:8443/cgi-bin/WebObjects/netbrackets.woa/2/wa/userLoginNoSession

It produced this output:
Says Cert is expired

My web server is (include version):
Server version: Apache/2.4.37 (Unix)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
MacOS Catalina 10.15

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
Personal Server

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):
yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):
safari

1 Like

Hi @netbrackets

you have to install the certificate on your non-standard port 8443. May be that requires some manual actions.

If that's done, so see the new certificate.

1 Like

I see now what I did. I was still pointing the SSLCertificateKeyFile and SSLCertificateFile definitions to the old certificates in my apache config, not the ones in the letsencrypt directory. It's all good now, and free :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Normally, you should use the symlinks.

If Certbot creates a new certificate, the symlinks are updated, so you have always the newest certificate.

• Certificate creation
  • Restart the webserver port 8443
  • You should see the new certificate
1 Like

Right, but I’ve always used the manual method. I think I had trouble getting the automated method to work, and I didn’t mind learning what’s really going on under the covers anyway. It’s just that sometimes I run into things I haven’t done before. This cert was configured differently than all my other certs since it wasn’t a letsencrypt cert before, so I had to make the changes in a different config file than I’m used to.

Thanks for your help!
Jeff

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.