Too many certificates already issued for: azure.com

I am trying out Let's Encrypt on an Azure VM and when trying to acquire a certificate, I get this error:

There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new cert :: Too many certificates already issued for: azure.com

Certainly, I can imagine there being a great many certificates under azure.com, as Azure gives a xyz.westeurope.cloudapp.azure.com style DNS entries for its customers for free.

Does this error mean that I have to order a custom domain name just to try this software out? I have no plans to use a custom domain name for this internal app, so this seems a fair nuisance.

I was unable to find any obvious reference to such a limitation in the policy documents but perhaps I missed it due to the large volume of information. In some sense, it seems to me that it would make sense to treat such domains as public suffixes and not restrict it to azure.com directly but I can certainly understand the organizational overhead from this.

I assume this is an intentional limitation but I would appreciate some confirmation.

For information on this see the topic on rate limits

The easiest solution is to get a free domain name ( for example at http://www.freenom.com/ ) and use that.

Thanks for the link! That explains it in quite nice detail.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.