Too many attempts SSL For Free

I was having trouble with my domain name due to the .htaccess file, so I ran out of attempts to create a free SSL Cert at www.sslforfree.com

The error message said I could request another opportunity here (?) Can someone please help me, as I have it all sorted on my end now.

Domain is: www.holsterleadtimes.com

Thanks!

Hi,

In this situation, you might running into failed attempts rate limit. Just wait for an hour and it will be refreshed.

Thank you

Thanks stevenzhu. Here is the error message I received:

“Certificate signature failed. If you supplied your own CSR make sure the domains on it match what you put on SSLForFree. If there is a rate limiting error at the end of this paragraph certificates per Domain is currently 5 per 7 days. Try asking Lets Encrypt to increase the limit or wait 7 days. Rate limits should increase in the near future. { “type”: “urn:ietf:params:acme:error:rateLimited”, “detail”: “Error finalizing order :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: holsterleadtime.com,www.holsterleadtime.com: see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/”, “status”: 429 }”

So, in an hour, the rate limit will be lifted, not 7 days? That would be fantastic!

Oh… no.

The error message means that you’ve already got several ssl certificates. And you can’t get more until 7 days over.

What you can do:

1. Try find the certs you’ve been issued.
  2. Try add other hostnames to the cert to avoid the basic constraint. (Still subject to rate limit but will get you one certificate)

A reminder,
htaccess error doesn’t means you’ll need to delete and request a new certificate. You just need to edit the htaccess while use the same cert file.

3 Likes

Ok, just so I understand correctly, when you say…

“Try add other hostnames to the cert to avoid the basic constraint”

Do I do that at SSLforFree and renew the domain, adding another, or do I add it in my cPanel in the SSL section? Sorry, I never encountered this issue before :slight_smile:

You've reached the limit of same certificate and can't get a new one for 7 days.
However, this limit can be skipped if you add another hostnames to your certificate.

For example:
you want to have cert for ama.zon and www.ama.zon and run into this rate limit, you can add another domain like beta.ama.zon and avoid this specific rate limit.
However all hostnames should be able to connect. (Which means you'll need temporary add the hostnames to your server and tget the certificate, then you can choose to not install ssl on that hostnames and remove it) (it's just a workaround when you got that rate limit)

Thank you

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help! I appreciate it very much

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.