The 'josepy' distribution was not found and is required by certbot

My domain is:

I ran this command:
Upgraded certbot version and after that any command with certbot results in the error below.

It produced this output:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/bin/certbot”, line 6, in
from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 3138, in
@_call_aside
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 3122, in _call_aside
f(*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 3151, in _initialize_master_working_set
working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 664, in _build_master
ws.require(requires)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 981, in require
needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 867, in resolve
raise DistributionNotFound(req, requirers)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The ‘josepy’ distribution was not found and is required by certbot

My web server is (include version):
nginx/1.12.2

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
FreeNAS jail
FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
Yes
I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

Just to confirm: you installed certbot as mentioned on https://certbot.eff.org/lets-encrypt/freebsd-apache ?

If so, you updated to py36-certbot-0.27.1, right? According to Ports (search for certbot on Ports Search), it depends on py36-josepy-1.1.0. But if I check the Makefile, there’s no such thing listed in the dependency variable(s). Do note however, I’m not a FreeBSD user, so I might not understand Ports well enough.

FYI, josepy is developed by the Certbot team, and it was only split off into a separate library in January. I don’t use FreeBSD either, but it wouldn’t be surprising if there were packaging bugs in the wake of that.

1 Like

@bmw @schoen Do either of you know who maintains the FreeBSD Certbot port? Is this a problem that should be raised to that person?

I do, but I went ahead and filed a bug at 232819 – security/py-certbot: The ‘josepy’ distribution was not found and is required by certbot for them to take a look at.

Thanks for the ping cpu!

1 Like

@bmw: I could only find a py36-certbot package on the Ports search. Is that correct? Is there still a py27-certbot package? I’m asking this, because the EFF certbot page refers to the py27-python package.

Thanks for noticing that @Osiris.

Spinning up a FreeBSD 11.2 machine (which appears to be their latest release according to https://www.freebsd.org/releases/), there is both a py27-certbot package and a py36-certbot package available.

Hm, I guess the Ports search page is a little bit strange. Or I just don’t understand it. If you search for certbot, the only version you’re getting is the py36-certbot package. Which by the way seems to depend on py27-~ packages along the required py36-~ packages :stuck_out_tongue:
But if you search directly for py27-certbot, it does find that package… Strange…

Hi,
Sorry for late respone.
I created a new installation of FreeBSD and then all worked fine. Seems like there was some problem with my FreeBSD installation.
Regards
Marcus

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.