Recently I migrated some of my Amazon Lightsail instances from Amazon Linux 1 to Amazon Linux 2.
I had been using certbot-auto on my Amazon Linux 1 instances.
After I migrated, I was able to use the certbot client that's available in EPEL.
This also allowed me to start using the certbot route53 plug-in.
I had a mechanism in place that was working with route53, so I didn't bother switching over.
For some reason the mechanism I had stopped working today. So I decided to try using the route53 plugin.
All I had to do was remove the old manual auth hook and tell certbot to use the route53 dns plug-in and it worked perfectly.
Thanks to everyone who worked on such high quality software.