SSL on digitalocean with a route53 domain

My domain is: yannisantypas.com

I ran this command: sudo certbot certonly --dns-route53 -d yannisantypas.com -d *.yannisantypas.com

It produced this output: You have an existing certificate that contains a portion of the domains you

requested (ref: /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/yannisantypas.com.conf)

It contains these names: yannisantypas.com

You requested these names for the new certificate: yannisantypas.com,

*.yannisantypas.com.

Do you want to expand and replace this existing certificate with the new

certificate?

(E)xpand/(C)ancel: e

Renewing an existing certificate

Performing the following challenges:

dns-01 challenge for yannisantypas.com

Cleaning up challenges

Unable to locate credentials

To use certbot-dns-route53, configure credentials as described at Configuration — Boto3 Docs 1.21.19 documentation and add the necessary permissions for Route53 access.

My web server is (include version): apache2

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): ubuntu 20.04

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: digitalocean

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): certbot 0.40.0

///////////\\\\//////////\\\\\/////////\\\

I want to create a wildcard in order to use traefik for multiple docker containers.
I have the AWS credentials but I dont know how to use them.

You should read the documentation for the route53 plugin. It will tell you where the credentials go.

You should also install certbot properly, following the instructions and not from apt: certbot.eff.org

You should also consider that maybe you don't need certbot at all, as traefik can probably obtain certificates automatically for any container, without any need to mess with a DNS API.

1 Like

What's the contents of the file /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/yannisantypas.com.conf ?

2 Likes

Hello @Osiris,

I am using this guide
I messed up my droplet so I'm going to kill it and start fresh again. I dont have that file

I'm not sure I follow. That guide does not mention Certbot anywhere.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.