SSL has expired and I can't find any trace of it?

My domain is:
ww.amazonseoconsultant.com

My web server is (include version):
It is a wordpress site and I don't know how to access this information or if it's even relevant.

Hi, apologies for the dumb question. I manage amazonseoconsultant.com. The site is a wordpress.com site and managed entirely via wordpress. It is hosted on digital ocean and until recently it had a Let's Encrypt SSL that was set to automatically renew.

The site currently has no active SSL so it seems either the renewal failed or it was somehow switched to another certificate.

As a result I came to Let's Encrypt to get a new one/fix the renewal, but this community/help section is the only place I can seem to register or log in. The main Let's Encrypt site doesn't have this functionality and there appears to be no way to access and check my certificate?

Digital Ocean has guides on how to set up an SSL via Let's Encrypt but they are full of networking jargon and basically unusable for an average guy like me. It starts by asking whether I use Apache or Nginx but neither word is present in my wordpress settings or in Digital Ocean so how exactly do I find that out?

I am essentially just looking to create a new free SSL certificate and add it to Digital Ocean. I did this before a couple of years ago but at the time you could just log into Let's Encrypt, set one up, then copy and paste it into your hosting site, which no longer seems to be an option?

2 Likes

Let's Encrypt only provides an API, a service for machines to talk to and request certificates. There isn't (and hasn't ever been) any interface for humans to "log in" or the like.

There are basically two ways you can use Let's Encrypt: One is if you're running your own server (Apache or Nginx or the like), where you set up software on the server to request and use the certificate. The other option is that if you're using a "hosted solution" where you don't manage the server yourself, is that your host configures and sets up whatever software is needed for you.

It sounds to me like you use a hosted solution, where there was some option in your host's interface to configure SSL and that's what you had done, and you don't "run" the server yourself. You probably need to contact your host and get support from them if it looks like your settings have changed. I'm not really familiar with using Digital Ocean or Wordpress.com's hosted solution myself (and in fact I thought those would be two separate things so I'm a bit confused which you're using), though maybe somebody else here knows more about them than I do. (I do use Wordpress.org's software occasionally myself, but not Wordpress.com's hosted solution.)

If your only interface to administrate your site has been through Wordpress, perhaps it was some plugin in its admin interface that needs to be updated or reconfigured? That's just a wild guess, though.

But I think your best bet is to figure out who you pay each month, and ask them.

4 Likes

It looks like something is requesting certificates, and more often than I would expect (monthlyish) though not at an alarming level. (All certificates issued are logged publicly so that everybody can validate that the Certificate Authorities are following the rules that they're supposed to.)

https://crt.sh/?q=amazonseoconsultant.com

So there's something somewhere that's creating certificates, but perhaps isn't installing them? You also seem to have some certificates from Sectigo occasionally. But again, if you don't have access to the server itself, it's something you'll need to have your hoster figure out.

1 Like

Thanks for your help, it’s Wordpress site but hosting is DigitalOcean. I’m not sure why as that was the case before I came into the company. I’ve requested some certificates the last few days and had them but not been able to install them as Digital Ocean doesn’t seem to give me the option anywhere. Previously to this week I have never requested one though so I have no idea what these monthly ones are. Sectigo I have never heard of. I guess I will keep contacting Digital Ocean for now but they seem unable to help

2 Likes

Yeah. Digital ocean is a self service hosting provider, meaning they will be responsible for hardware failures etc but not to the information / software installed on your vps (digital ocean droplets). You need to find a way to get into the digital ocean droplet and check status instead of contacting DO.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.