SSL Error Certificate verify failed

Hello everyone,

I have an Apache2 Server on Debian8 with a self signed certificate. If I open my domain, I will always recive an error, that my certificate is not trustful (because its self signed). But if I add it to Firefox trustet certificates, the website opens normaly.

Now I want to switch to a lets encrypt certificate. I installed certbot and run: certbot --apache or certbot --apache certonly, and I always receive the error:
SSLError: (“bad handshake: Error([(‘SSL routines’, ‘SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE’, ‘certificate verify failed’)],)”,)

I dont understand it, of course is my certificate not verified, this is the reason why I want to install an lets encrypt certificate?!

Its self hostet, I have root access.

Can you transcribe more of the surrounding context for the error message ?

Let’s Encrypt definitely doesn’t care if your old certificates verify, so this error message could suggest the problem is elsewhere, for example maybe a problem communicating with the Let’s Encrypt servers themselves, more context would help us figure that out.

Hi Tialaramex,

thank you for your reply! Anyway, I solved my problem otherwise. I have googled around, and visited the (letsencrypt site) https://www.sslforfree.com/ , followed the instructions, and now are perfect certified. :slight_smile:

Regards,
onox16

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.