SSL certificate fail to update

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: www.stochie.com

I ran this command:
sudo certbot renew

It produced this output:
Processing /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/stochie.com.conf

Attempting to renew cert (stochie.com) from /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/stochie.com.conf produced an unexpected error: module 'lib' has no attribute 'X509_get_notAfter'. Skipping.
All renewal attempts failed. The following certs could not be renewed:
/etc/letsencrypt/live/stochie.com/fullchain.pem (failure)

All renewal attempts failed. The following certs could not be renewed:
/etc/letsencrypt/live/stochie.com/fullchain.pem (failure)

1 renew failure(s), 0 parse failure(s)

My web server is (include version):
nginx/1.18.0

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):ubuntu 20.0

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Own server

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): I don't know

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):NA

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): certbot 0.40.0 (I tried to update but is said to be latest version)

additional information:
a) I read one thread which is similar to my issue and it is said he add [[webroot_map]] to /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/stochie.com.config but it seem not helping for mine:

renew_before_expiry = 30 days

version = 0.40.0
archive_dir = /etc/letsencrypt/archive/stochie.com
cert = /etc/letsencrypt/live/stochie.com/cert.pem
privkey = /etc/letsencrypt/live/stochie.com/privkey.pem
chain = /etc/letsencrypt/live/stochie.com/chain.pem
fullchain = /etc/letsencrypt/live/stochie.com/fullchain.pem

Options used in the renewal process

[renewalparams]
account = 1ae17a4380d7dc0b0aaff604e5694afa
authenticator = nginx
installer = nginx
server = https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory
[[webroot_map]]
stochie.com = /var/www/html
www.stochie.com = /var/www/html

b) I saw there is also a suggestion some version have some bug and I try to update it using sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade certbot but is said to be of latest version.

Welcome @adiputra

Your certbot install is faulty. The best way forward is for you to install certbot with snap. Ubuntu 20 supports that easily.

See:

and

3 Likes

Thanks Mike, it works!
I did see the snapd things but reason why I don't want to do it initially is because I don't know what will happen with installing via snapd. To people who face similar issue just uninstall the current package using sudo apt remove cerbot and reinstall using snapd.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.