SSL certificate expired (3 days ago)

I think (not a technical person) that my SSL certificate has expired on July 10, 2021.
Normally it would auto-renew, but for some reason, it hasn't and now my site seems to be down or at least the backend is.
This site runs through Cloudflare.
I have disabled a number of WordPress plugins to make the frontend working.

Again, I think it's the SSL certificate but, again, I'm not a very technical person.

Thanks for any help.

My domain is: https://culturematters.com

I ran this command: n/a

It produced this output: n/a

My web server is (include version): Digital Ocean

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 16.04 x64 ( I think)

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Digital Ocean

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): Using FTP, yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): Not sure what this means

Your site has a valid Cloudflare certificate and doesn't give me any error what so ever. All seems to be working nicely?

Hi,

Not really.

The website https://culturematters.com shows incomplete pages and sometimes (?) it looks all crooked because style sheets are missing (e.g. images missing) and the backend is not working at all.

Here's an image I see from my backend:

And below there is a screenshot of an email that I would receive on a regular basis.

I don't quite understand what it says there: "your system is not supported..." and then it ends with "certificate not yet due for renewal..."

Thanks again for the help.

When you proxy your site through cloudflare it allocates a certificate to use automatically, but you have also at some point configured your web server to have a certificate using certbot-auto. This would let you access your site using https when not using cloudflare.

So the email you got is telling you the certbot-auto app isn't supported on your linux distribution anymore and you should change to using certbot. There is more information here: Certbot-auto no longer works on Debian based systems - #7 by bmw

Note that even if your server certificate expires your Cloudflare proxying may continue working depending on which SSL settings you have enabled in Cloudflare.

The problems loading stylesheets are because of your content management system settings and are not related to renewing your certificate. It looks like you've maybe fixed that already.

1 Like

Hi,

Since I'm using CloudFlare I do not need the other LetsEncrypt/Cerbot certificate.
Could you guide me on how to dispose of this?

Thanks

1 Like

Sorry no I'm not familiar with your system but I would recommend if you're not a Linux administrator yourself that you hire someone on a casual basis to just check things over, document things and do system maintenance like this.

I'm assuming this is for a business. If you don't have someone who can do technical administration it's a risk to your business continuity.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.