My domain is: home.superversive.net
I ran this command: sudo certbot certonly
I have tried many different combinations of other options as well. I have an nginx webserver running on the machine. I also tried it where I turn that off and let it run the webserver itself. That is what I used to use and it worked well till this last time.
It produced this output:
Certbot failed to authenticate some domains (authenticator: webroot). The Certificate Authority reported these problems:
Detail: 220.127.116.11: Fetching http://home.superversive.net/.well-known/acme-challenge/6bgzwSTgTsiMvAgDWa8wprx_xQ4j56AtNoYBGN_6kq8: Timeout during connect (likely firewall problem)
Hint: The Certificate Authority failed to download the temporary challenge files created by Certbot. Ensure that the listed domains serve their content from the provided --webroot-path/-w and that files created there can be downloaded from the internet.
Some challenges have failed.
Ask for help or search for solutions at https://community.letsencrypt.org. See the logfile /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log or re-run Certbot with -v for more details.
My web server is (include version): nginx/1.18.0 (Ubuntu)
The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS
My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Self hosted
I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes
I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
The version of my client is (e.g. output of
certbot --version or
certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):certbot 2.3.0
I have been trying for a while to get this to go and it wont. It used to work beautifully but I gather something has changed?
I used to run the following command after stopping nginx on the server
And it would run happily, review, and the shell script would stop and then restart nginx.
There is an old configuration directory with the various files in it. I updated certbot to use the current snap version as recommended on the website after it broke.
I can definitely connect to the webserver on port 80 on home.superversive.net. I have it port forwarded through my router. I manually created the .well-known and acme-challenge folders and stuck index.html files in them that I can access from the web so the machine and the sub folders required do seem accessible. The webserver is running out of the default /var/www/html/ directory.
If I can manually get the challenge files and copy them I can if that would work. I'm really at a loss here.