SSl Certificat Problem

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: www.thehomeofmyown.com

I ran this command: certbot --nginx --redirect -d www.thehomeofmyown.com -d thehomeofmyown.com -m admin@thehomeofmyown.com --agree-tos --no-eff-email

It produced this output: Last login: Mon Jan 10 21:51:16 on console
christianpudenz@MacBook-Air-von-Christian ~ % ssh root@104.207.130.242
root@104.207.130.242's password:
Welcome to Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-84-generic x86_64)

System information as of Tue 11 Jan 2022 09:39:01 AM UTC

System load: 0.0 Processes: 162
Usage of /: 7.6% of 51.57GB Users logged in: 0
Memory usage: 29% IPv4 address for enp1s0: 104.207.130.242
Swap usage: 0%

151 updates can be applied immediately.
59 of these updates are standard security updates.
To see these additional updates run: apt list --upgradable

Web console: https://thehomeofmyown.com:9090/ or https://104.207.130.242:9090/

Last login: Mon Jan 10 14:33:03 2022 from 213.174.20.240
root@thehomeofmyown:~# certbot --nginx --redirect -d www.thehomeofmyown.com -d thehomeofmyown.com -m admin@thehomeofmyown.com --agree-tos --no-eff-email
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Requesting a certificate for www.thehomeofmyown.com and thehomeofmyown.com

Certbot failed to authenticate some domains (authenticator: nginx). The Certificate Authority reported these problems:
Domain: www.thehomeofmyown.com
Type: dns
Detail: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up A for www.thehomeofmyown.com - check that a DNS record exists for this domain

Hint: The Certificate Authority failed to verify the temporary nginx configuration changes made by Certbot. Ensure the listed domains point to this nginx server and that it is accessible from the internet.

Some challenges have failed.
Ask for help or search for solutions at https://community.letsencrypt.org. See the logfile /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log or re-run Certbot with -v for more details.
root@thehomeofmyown:~#

My web server is (include version): Vultr 104.207.130.242 WordPress ???

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 20.04 x64

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Vultr

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): terminal

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): ???

The problem is what the error message says. There is no DNS address record for www.thehomeofmyown.com in the name server. If you want that domain name, add it into the DNS, probably pointing to the apex domain name thehomeofmyown.com, which already has an address record: 104.207.130.242.

3 Likes

Do you update your system?

1 Like

I now see it backward.
The "www" has an IP - but the apex doesn't :frowning:

3 Likes

I still have problems with linking my domain. Now I cannot open wordpress. And if I try to get a ssl certificate there is this error:

root@thehomeofmyown:~# certbot --nginx --redirect -d www.thehomeofmyown.com -d thehomeofmyown.com -m admin@thehomeofmyown.com --agree-tos --no-eff-email
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Requesting a certificate for www.thehomeofmyown.com and thehomeofmyown.com

Certbot failed to authenticate some domains (authenticator: nginx). The Certificate Authority reported these problems:
Domain: thehomeofmyown.com
Type: dns
Detail: no valid A records found for thehomeofmyown.com; no valid AAAA records found for thehomeofmyown.com

Hint: The Certificate Authority failed to verify the temporary nginx configuration changes made by Certbot. Ensure the listed domains point to this nginx server and that it is accessible from the internet.

Some challenges have failed.
Ask for help or search for solutions at https://community.letsencrypt.org. See the logfile /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log or re-run Certbot with -v for more details.
root@thehomeofmyown:~#

Now under google domains I point the a record to **www.**thehomeofmyown.com.

Maybe someone can help me to figure it out.

Maybe I can somehow start all over again or fix the error. Already tired trying

If you want a certificate for both hostnames, your DNS should be configured for both too. How you're writing it, it sounds like you changed your DNS by modifying the previous record for thehomeofmyown.com to www.thehomeofmyown.com whereas you should have added a second record.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.