SAN with redundant names

Hi all for a pilot of Teams Direct routing we would like to test the TLS handshake with Office365 with our Audiocodes SBC where we want install a Let'sEncrypt "wildcard certificate".
Our needs are this:
CN must be *.icsc.it

1. SAN must be: sbc.icsc.it
  2. SAN must be: *.icsc.it

It's this possible with Let'sEncrypt ?

Thanks in advance
[redacted]@outlook.com
[redacted]@sostentamentoclero

2 Likes

Welcome to the Let's Encrypt Community, Andrea! :slightly_smiling_face:

In my experience, Let's Encrypt will not issue certificates containing redundant SANs.

9 Likes

Thanks Griffin, I've searched other similar requests and I've got the same. I've to go to other vendors.. Regards.

4 Likes

To prevent spam, you should edit your email address out of your original post.

8 Likes

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile: ...I've lot of spam checks that help me! :wink:

5 Likes

Although I do believe you can get a cert with both "sbc.icsc.it and *.icsc.it" from LE, I don't think you can specify which of the two would occupy the CN field.
And it might not be the way you wanted it.

If you can front-end the service, it might be possible to use the certs separately and simply proxy both to the wildcard back-end.

9 Likes

I just tried in the staging environment and got an error: Error creating new order :: Domain name "[redacted]" is redundant with a wildcard domain in the same request. Remove one or the other from the certificate request

But I must say you've piqued my curiosity as to why having only the wildcard name in there wouldn't be sufficient.

10 Likes

Now I'm having second doubts...
The overlap might prevent it; As shown by your error message @petercooperjr

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.