Renewed SSL certificate, but browsers and SSLlabs show old expiry date?

My domain is: www.ragdalehall.co.uk

I ran these commands in this order: certbot renew / certbot renew --force-renewal / service apache2 restart / certbot certificates

It produced this output:
Certbot Renew: "Cert not yet due for renewal"
Certbot Renew – force-renewal: "Renewing an existing certificate … Congratulations, all renewals succeeded."
Service Apache2 Restart: No output, but service restarted
Certbot Certificates: Found the following certs: www.ragdalehall.co.uk, expiry date: 2018-04-08

My web server is (include version): Apache2

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 16.04.01

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Bytemark

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No, SSH only

The server is set up to automatically renew the Let’s Encrypt certificate. I manually forced a renewal in case any of the sub-files were not updated, and made sure the Apache service had been restarted. After all of that, SSL Labs server test is still showing the Let’s Encrypt expiry date of 2018-01-08 and browsers are all showing the website itself as having a Privacy Error.

This isn’t the first time we’ve had this problem with a certificate showing the correct updated date after a renewal - but generally it resolves itself after a forced restart of Apache; this time it hasn’t.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Chris

Reissuing (not renewing) the certificate for the domain appears to have resolved this - but I’d like to prevent this from happening again when the certificate is due for renewal in April.

You need to restart the web service after the cert has been renewed.

I did actually restart the webservice (note the “service apache2 restart” command above in my original post) - and in fact, the whole server - when the SSL certificate did not immediately resolve. That had no effect.

ONLY the reissuing of the whole certificate resolved the problem.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.