Renewals hitting rate limit after upgrading certbot from 0.19.0 to 0.31.0 (ACME v1 -> v2)

I manage a server with approx 9000 Let’s Encrypt SSL-enabled domains. After updating certbot from 0.19.0 to 0.31.0 last week in order to update to the acme-v2 endpoint we are experiencing issues automatically renewing our domains.

All domains are registered under the same account. Each certificate is registered with both the base domain and a www prefixed domain. All domains are unique.

I had thought that renewals were not subject to rate-limits. If indeed they are I would love to hear how others are managing similar volumes of renewals.

One such domain is: zeenarealty.com

I ran this command: certbot -q renew

It produced this output:

[snippet start]

2020-06-30 22:21:24,137:DEBUG:acme.client:Storing nonce: 0102XCyIfp3jDpTzeV6bVE21Def-cbpuF02s3mYR8nWJTHE
2020-06-30 22:21:24,138:DEBUG:acme.client:JWS payload:
b'{\n  "identifiers": [\n    {\n      "value": "zeenarealty.com",\n      "type": "dns"\n    },\n    {\n      "value": "www.zeenarealty.com",\n      "type": "dns"\n    }\n  ]\n}'
2020-06-30 22:21:24,139:DEBUG:acme.client:Sending POST request to https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/acme/new-order:
{
  "protected": "eyJub25jZSI6ICIwMTAyWEN5SWZwM2pEcFR6ZVY2YlZFMjFEZWYtY2JwdUYwMnMzbVlSOG5XSlRIRSIsICJhbGciOiAiUlMyNTYiLCAidXJsIjogImh0dHBzOi8vYWNtZS12MDIuYXBpLmxldHNlbmNyeXB0Lm9yZy9hY21lL25ldy1vcmRlciIsICJraWQiOiAiaHR0cHM6Ly9hY21lLXYwMS5hcGkubGV0c2VuY3J5cHQub3JnL2FjbWUvcmVnLzI3NDY0Mzg1In0",
  "signature": "M8ktxoNL7-urMdOgXdku_5V5Fyasqozkd-Iv4APvYq3pWIIKluCMMyShtM6ldyt3DUO_Vc5uizr8xTJqaiEuUTEW_5b9UH_PfvqE5AkOBkl-QSRXsSlKx456Ko77kJ9dFyLdrjDpuK7Frim-BsF3G2w_yVsFpgvjAYLreFBKSH7QOyQOE9FPzzwOiYYmOHXhjmae3z0DTVripfNS00bcOUfgDeq0gomK4UT-jBIMKK4_xnN0S-20Ax3eMgwjnDGnlVD9q8YQTUS7g2V8--iUPbzeKAUwFpKasz8NlSgcK_SZlO9uJR4xdjc_qX9ZCKNJa7gy9XyRib-GRJ0TABpYQw",
  "payload": "ewogICJpZGVudGlmaWVycyI6IFsKICAgIHsKICAgICAgInZhbHVlIjogInplZW5hcmVhbHR5LmNvbSIsCiAgICAgICJ0eXBlIjogImRucyIKICAgIH0sCiAgICB7CiAgICAgICJ2YWx1ZSI6ICJ3d3cuemVlbmFyZWFsdHkuY29tIiwKICAgICAgInR5cGUiOiAiZG5zIgogICAgfQogIF0KfQ"
}
2020-06-30 22:21:24,230:DEBUG:requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool:"POST /acme/new-order HTTP/1.1" 429 190
2020-06-30 22:21:24,231:DEBUG:acme.client:Received response:
HTTP 429
Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: public, max-age=0, no-cache
Content-Type: application/problem+json
Replay-Nonce: 0102LuUj7aB-AADgc3C2S1XJFaTVC-iz0x59Ka7X1lMOmFY
Link: <https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory>;rel="index"
Boulder-Requester: 27464385
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 22:21:24 GMT
Content-Length: 190
Server: nginx

{
  "type": "urn:ietf:params:acme:error:rateLimited",
  "detail": "Error creating new order :: too many new orders recently: see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/",
  "status": 429
}
2020-06-30 22:21:24,231:WARNING:certbot.renewal:Attempting to renew cert (zeenarealty.com) from /home/ixact/www/core/letsencrypt/certs/renewal/zeenarealty.com.conf produced an unexpected error: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:rateLimited :: There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new order :: too many new orders recently: see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/. Skipping.
2020-06-30 22:21:24,232:DEBUG:certbot.renewal:Traceback was:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/renewal.py", line 452, in handle_renewal_request
    main.renew_cert(lineage_config, plugins, renewal_candidate)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/main.py", line 1193, in renew_cert
    renewed_lineage = _get_and_save_cert(le_client, config, lineage=lineage)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/main.py", line 116, in _get_and_save_cert
    renewal.renew_cert(config, domains, le_client, lineage)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/renewal.py", line 310, in renew_cert
    new_cert, new_chain, new_key, _ = le_client.obtain_certificate(domains, new_key)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/client.py", line 353, in obtain_certificate
    orderr = self._get_order_and_authorizations(csr.data, self.config.allow_subset_of_names)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/client.py", line 385, in _get_order_and_authorizations
    orderr = self.acme.new_order(csr_pem)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/acme/client.py", line 889, in new_order
    return self.client.new_order(csr_pem)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/acme/client.py", line 672, in new_order
    response = self._post(self.directory['newOrder'], order)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/acme/client.py", line 96, in _post
    return self.net.post(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/acme/client.py", line 1204, in post
    return self._post_once(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/acme/client.py", line 1218, in _post_once
    response = self._check_response(response, content_type=content_type)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/acme/client.py", line 1073, in _check_response
    raise messages.Error.from_json(jobj)
acme.messages.Error: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:rateLimited :: There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new order :: too many new orders recently: see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/

[snippet end]

My web server is (include version): nginx (N/A)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: N/A

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): certbot 0.31.0

Hi @petertoi

read that link. The ACME-v2 has a 300 orders / 3 hours limit.

--> 100 per hour --> 2400 per day --> some days, 9000 domains are renewed.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response, @JuergenAuer .

I suppose I was a little confused that the endpoint is called /new-order yet was being used for a renewal. It’s good to have confirmation that things are indeed working the way they should be.

The same article states that we need to wait a week for the rate limit to expire. That leads to back to my earlier question about how others are managing their batches. What’s curious is that I do see some certificates are renewing on each call to certbot -q renew so I’m a little confused if the rate limit penalty is being imposed. Can you provide any insights here?

Many thanks,
Peter

No, that's only a three-hour - limit. The one-week is per domain, but if you don't create 5 identical certificates per domain, you will never hit that limit.

PS:

A renewal creates always a new certificate, so /new-order is used.

Switching from v1 -> v2 with "only 9000 domains" you shouldn't have a problem.

Only thing: Max 100 new orders per hour. But if you start your renews early enough (30 days before expiration), you can renew 1200 certificates per day without hitting any limit -> 1200 * 20 = 24000 domains with 10 additional days.

Thanks again @JuergenAuer,

To wrap all this up, can I increase the frequency that certbot.timer is running on my system from every 12 hours to every 3-4 hours and be done with it? In this case, all the certificates will be checked against the endpoint on each run. Or do I need to set up my own batch processing routine that will attempt 100 certificates per hour?

If I need to run small batches, do you know of any community-supported packages or scripts that are ready-built and well-tested that I could take advantage of rather than rolling my own? I’m sure I’m not the only person in this situation.

All the best,
Peter

You can run Certbot every hour. If no certificate needs a renew, nothing happens (only a little bit CPU consuming on your system).

That's configuration specific, find a working solution, that's all. It's a question of your certificate renews: 9000 with the same date / time -> you will hit the limit. Max. 50 per hour -> you will never hit a limit.

1 Like

I think this could be handled by certbot with a few tweaks, and paying careful attention to the ratelimit details – some are by Account, Domain, IP Range.

I would do the following:

• utilize multiple accounts for renewals and enrollment. cap each account at 900 or so certificates.
  • run certbot several times a day, offset to 1.5x-2x the ratetlimit expiry that you have issues with. staggering at 1x the ratelimit may not work, because with a large number of orders, you may have tripped the limit minutes/hours into the last invocation of the script
  • try to stagger renewals so you don't have a stampede. try not to exceed 80% of any given ratelimit in your planning, because failures will be reattempted on the next invocation and that will trigger rate-limits.

I developed an open-sourced a custom client / framework to handle use-cases like yours, but the ACME-v2 port is not done yet. (Well, the ACME-v2 protocol is finished, but automatic renewals are not done yet). That project is: GitHub - aptise/peter_sslers: or how i stopped worrying and learned to love the ssl certificate

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.