Renewal message for a renewed cert

Hi,

I’ve received this email reminder that sound inacurrate:

Your certificate (or certificates) for the names listed below will expire in
9 days (on 02 Jul 17 16:28 +0000). Please make sure to renew
your certificate before then, or visitors to your website will encounter errors.
img.verylys.com

if I open up the cert from a web browser it tell me the cert is good until september
Our cert is multi domain, and we do not receive any error from the other domain that are using the same cert.

My domain is: img.verylys.com

I ran this command: ./certbot-auto renew

It produced this output:
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log

Processing /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/img.verylys.com.conf

Cert not yet due for renewal

The following certs are not due for renewal yet:
/etc/letsencrypt/live/img.verylys.com/fullchain.pem (skipped)
No renewals were attempted.

My web server is (include version): Nginx 1.6.2-5+deb8u4

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Debian 8.1

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi @mbiork,

Please read further down in the renewal message to see the explanation of the conditions under which the renewal message is sent. This is also explained at

Hi there I received a renewal message and we had renewed the cert a few months ago - I am confused about getting this again?
Thanks

Hello,

Your certificate (or certificates) for the names listed below will expire in
9 days (on 01 Jul 17 22:41 +0000). Please make sure to renew
your certificate before then, or visitors to your website will encounter errors.

For any questions or support, please visit https://community.letsencrypt.org/.
Unfortunately, we can’t provide support by email.

Hi @npandey,

While you might be used to certificates from other CAs with longer validity periods, all Let’s Encrypt certificates expire after 90 days. Your current certificate does, indeed, expire at the beginning of July, having been issued at the beginning of April.

We strongly encourage creators of tools that people use with Let’s Encrypt to support automated renewal so that the inconvenience of renewal will be minimized. Maybe you can check if whatever method you’re using to get a certificate could be automated so that you won’t have to take action in this situation as frequently.

Hi @schoen
oh no - my engineer is out of the country and I don’t know how to do the renewal. Is it possible to get an extension otherwise the site will go down right ?

Thanks

All Let’s Encrypt certificates are issued automatically by a computer, and there’s no such thing technically as extending one, only issuing a new one. (The expiration date is built into each certificate, so when a certificate is going to expire, it should simply be replaced by the new updated certificate.) The new certificate needs to be installed on your own server in order to be effective; there’s nothing that could be done from the Let’s Encrypt site that would substitute for that process.

If you can tell us more about your hosting environment, we might be able to help you figure out how to renew your certificate or whether there is someone else who might be able to help you do it.

It’s true that visitors to your site will start to encounter browser errors if your certificate isn’t replaced with a new, updated certificate by July 1.

It didn’t make sense to me, but I got it, thanks for your help with this matter Seth, I’ll just disguard that email reminder :wink:
Have a very nice day.

Hosted on Amazon. How can I get help ? I would so appreciate it

Do you know if you can log in to your AWS server as root over ssh?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.