Reinstall/upgrade using snap

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: ptgolf.us, vfwpost8600.org

I ran this command:none, help with install

It produced this output:none

My web server is (include version):nginx/1.14.0 (Ubuntu)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):ubuntu 18.04

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:digital oceans vps

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):certbot 0.31.0

I'm trying to update ubuntu to 20.04 because of a problem I'm having with Capistrano deploy (not reloading Puma with systemd). Certbot was installed with apt-get a few years ago

When I try to upgrade I get and error message that

The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/certbot/certbot/ubuntu does not have a Release file

I've read the new install instructions using snapd. My question is if I remove the package manager install are my certificates still intact or do I have to reinstall them? (then I'd have tor remember how I did that!)

The contents of /etc/letsencrypt/ remains intact if you remove the certbot package, so your certificates should remain safe. Don't use the "purge" option of apt, as that will remove that directory!

Making a temporary and simple backup is always recommended though:

cp -a /etc/letsencrypt /etc/letsencrypt-backup

Or something like that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.