Receiving error ordering certificate for domains we own

My domain is:
home.tb.ask.com, akd.search.tb.ask.com, search.ask.com, safesearch.ask.com

I ran this command:
Order certificate through Akamai

It produced this output:
Let’s Encrypt will not issue a certificate for the domain(s) “home.tb.ask.com,akd.search.tb.ask.com,search.ask.com,safesearch.ask.com”. Please work with Let’s Encrypt to allow these domain(s) in a certificate or remove them from the certificate request.

My web server is (include version):
Apache 2.2

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
CentOS 6

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
Self-hosted + Akamai Content Delivery

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
Akamai Content Delivery

I’m guessing this is because ask.com is considered High Value. Let’s Encrypt is required to have some sort of manual “extra” process for a list of High Value domains (the rules do not specify any particular means by which they should determine a domain is “high value”) and you’re on the list. So that’s nice. Because Let’s Encrypt is fully automatic, the manual process can’t just slow down issuance as it would at several commercial CAs, instead issuance fails altogether.

Hopefully if you can explain (this might involve getting the right people to reach out to Let’s Encrypt to prove you’re really the famous ask.com requesting this) you can get them to remove ask.com from their High Value list. It seems a shame not to be “high value”, but it’s nice to get automatic certificates which makes up for it.

Hello,

I can do what’s necessary to verify. I just need to know who to get in contact with.

Thank you!
-Andrea Rutledge

I believe @cpu often takes charge of this sort of thing. I’m sure that now I’ve mentioned the name they will be along shortly.

1 Like

Hi @iac-andrea.rutledge,

I will direct-message you with instructions to get this problem resolved. Thanks!

Thank you! Also, I notice you’re in Boulder. So are we!

Hehehe. Not quite! Boulder is the name of our server-side CA software. I'm in Canada :maple_leaf: :slight_smile:

1 Like

The software is named after this boulder:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.