Python crashes during certbot install on WIn7

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:
larryscohen.com

I ran this command:
Reinstalled certbot latest version after uninstalling version due to python errors
It produced this output at the tail end of the install:
Python has stopped working. After the install completes if I run certbot certonly --standalone, the same Python error appears and no certificate creation is attempted.
My web server is (include version):
IIS7

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Windows 7
My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
Self hosted server
I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):
yes with CMD as Administrator

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
IIS Manager

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): latest from your website

Win7 is very old and past EOL. I'm not sure what Python versions even work on it.

This will not be possible to troubleshoot without detailed errors, and I'm not sure if it's even possible to work.

Have you considered other LetsEncrypt clients?

1 Like

Hi Jonathan and thanks for your response.

Funny thing is this worked fine three months ago when I downloaded my first LE cert.

Regardless, what other clients do you recommend that I try?

Thanks!

Larry

I just used the “Certify the Web” client, and it worked just fine.

I actually like it much better than certbot!

Thanks for your input.

Larry

1 Like

IMHO, that's actually the best windows client if your system supports it. There are a few other windows clients, but the maintainer of CertifyTheWeb is an active contributor to LE and this forum. In the realm of Windows client developers, they know the ACME protocol the best, very rarely have bugs, and support new/upcoming features before anyone else. Great choice, and glad you found it before I saw your last comment!

4 Likes

Thanks again for all your input.

I’m glad I picked a winner!

Larry

Crikey, there's a glowing review! I should post it on our website :slight_smile:

@caricell I would also advocate for upgrading from Windows 7. The easiest way to make such a big leap is to buy another machine and start using it as your daily driver, gradually moving your stuff as required until you can retire the old machine.

3 Likes

Yes, I know Windows 7 has to go....the only problem with that is the software I am running on this machine (weather-display) .,..will be a real PAIN to try to reinstall on another operating system...it's gone through many upgrades, and I'm just not willing to deal with that on WIndows 10. So, for the moment I'll leave it, as long as it is working well 24/7.

Thanks again for your input.

You can even say, "What other ACME Client Developers Think".

3 Likes

Thanks, their website says they are compatible with Windows 10 , so it will likely also work in Windows 11 as well. I'd give it a try if you get the chance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.