Port 443 already in use by another server

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: http://s.ccskeet.com

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version): Apache2 2.4.29 -1ubuntu4.22
The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):Linux Mint 19

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: self hosted

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no it's terminal accessible only

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): hell i don't know... just loaded it last night... likely the latest one for Linux Mint

That isn't a web server; it's a web browser.

That version's about to go EOL, but still within support for a few months.

But what's your question? I have to assume it relates to the subject ("Port 443 already in use by another server"), but what did you do that resulted in that error?

5 Likes

EOL doesn't bother me... it's not going to stop working... If I build a newer server it'll be FreeBSD

A reverse proxy that directs to the appropriate internal hosts by hostname could make life better.

5 Likes

Is your problem related to this thread? If not, please start a new topic. It will ask you to complete answers to a form which will help us advise you. Thanks

5 Likes

I believe it's relevant.

Can this work ?

Moved related posts to this topic.

3 Likes

That depends on your definition of what works and what issue you might be trying to overcome.
It seems that will allow connections to the external IP:8443 to reach your internal IP:443.
If that is a solution to the issue, then it will resolve it.
If that is not a solution to the issue, then we must be better informed on what your issue is before giving any relevant advice.

5 Likes

Thanks for the idea... I've built FreeBSD Nginx Reverse Proxy servers. I suppose making one to direct port 443 to one of many servers may be possible.

My Nextcloud runs on TrueNAS in a FreeBSD Jail. It sounds like I'd have to do some name resolution to make this play...

Maybe... Tomorrow !

Dave

1 Like

Your NAT picture looked like pfSense which has HA Proxy in the packages. You may be able to get it to do what you need. I let my lab pfSense vm lag behind a couple of releases and need to get it current before I can install the package before I can examine the configuration options.

5 Likes

I've had a look at HA Proxy... think I'll try the latest one. The warning about it interfering with port 80 access to pfSense shouldn't be an issue since I'm only going to make port 443 changes... But will back it up before I do anything serious.

Thanks for the heads up. Some members here want to make simple discussions into supercilious. I don't have time for those who lurk around waiting to show how superior they (think) they are....

So get updated, and we'll have some fun checking this out...

Clay_Buster

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.