Phpmyadmin empty web frames

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: fx5.uk

I ran this command: certbot instructions at Getting Started - Let's Encrypt

It produced this output: installed successfully

My web server is (include version): nginx 1.18.0

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): ubuntu 20.04

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): 1.24.0

I setup nginx with letsencrypt and all went well.
I then installed phpmyadmin and while I can login and see standard phpmyadmin menu items, the list of databases on the left briefly shows and then disappears. Also the central frame where you usually see database details is empty.
When I look at the page source code both frames appear empty.
The nginx error log does not offer any hints. Searching online has not been fruitful either. Please help!

Does phpmyadmin know it's supposed to load over https or do its settings still include an http address? Open your browser console and check if there are errors there.

(If that's the issue, this is a bug in phpmyadmin: you can just use href="//phpmyadmin.example.com/index.php" without actually specifying the scheme, and it will work)

2 Likes

No errors in the browser console.
PHPmyadmin has $cfg['ForceSSL'] = true configured.

Looking in nginx config the only thing that caught my eye was the certbot line...
ipv6only=on

What happens if you open the frames by themselves?

2 Likes

The html is just blank where there should be content and I can see ""
Digging into the nginx logs, I just found SSL_do_handshake() failed (SSL: error:141CF06C:SSL routines:tls_parse_ctos_key_share:bad key share) while SSL handshaking, client: x.x.x.x , server: 0.0.0.0:443 so will do some googling

Those frames are loaded from the same domain/subdomain phpmyadmin is installed on, right? I don't know why you only get this error on some requests and not others.

An answer on stackoverflow is suggesting to use another browser/device/ISP/country. Nginx SSL: error:141CF06C:SSL routines:tls_parse_ctos_key_share:bad key share - Stack Overflow

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.