Peer certificate CN did not match expected CN

Hi,

We have multiple servers that communicate with each other. This has worked without issues for years.

A few days ago, a request between the servers failed. The error:
file_get_contents(): Peer certificate CN=*.mytrafficmanagement.com' did not match expected CN=www.my-domain.com'

The error only pops up rarely, a few times per week. All the other requests (which are exactly the same) work fine. We use Plesk for managing the server.

My hosting provider is: OVH

I already did a google search, and found another website having the same issue:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. But I'm a bit confused about this error. Did the request between my servers somehow got redirected to another server with the wrong certificate? I didn't make any DNS changes...

do your server manage mytrafficmanagement.com too? it goes to a parking page so it's unlikely but looks like your server failed to parse or send SAN at tls handshake

3 Likes

Hi,

No we don't manage mytrafficmanagement.com nor do we know where that domain name came from... :worried:

We did have some performance issues on our server the last few days. Nginx reaching max_children. We've increased that setting.

I personally don't think this be debugable, but better retry connection. I would not be surprised if it was cosmic ray hitting Lan cable flipping a bit in transaction

3 Likes

Not the best place to ask. Seems more a DNS problem or something odd in php error handling. Might even ask OVH how to check DNS.

To debug you could replace the file_get_contents with php curl_exec. That would allow you to see the response headers and other details possibly. See php programming forum for details (even stackoverflow). Not sure this would help but it might.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the responses :slight_smile:

1 Like

Probably a firewall of some kind.

If you tell us the actual domain name, we might be able to be more helpful.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.