Ok. I’m new and dumb

I just need to understand how this works and have some of my questions answered.

1. I have a VPS. Do I need to buy a domain from a company listed or certbot? If not, how do I get a domain?
  2. How do I connect it to my server running Jitsi?
4 Likes

You can buy a domain name from anywhere you want. There are even free domains you can get from Freenom.

After you have a domain, you would set its DNS “A record” to the IP address of your VPS.

The exact instructions to do this will vary by what company you bought your domain from, but they will all have instructions showing how to do that.

4 Likes

Can you be more specific on what you mean by “this” ?

Even if what you meant was obvious, any answer would never help anyone else searching for a similar “question”.

2 Likes

Sorry. I meant how to set up certbot.

3 Likes

You can start with:

If you still have questions, or run into any problems, we are here to help :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s asking me about the webroot for my address. What is that?

2 Likes

Webroot is the local path to the root of that web site.

2 Likes

And how would I find that?

2 Likes

What web server are you using?

1 Like

Freenom I think is what you mean. But I’m using ubuntu/certbot if I’m wrong

2 Likes

Where are you gong to use the cert?
In what program?

2 Likes

I am using Jitsi videobridge

2 Likes

Completely unfamiliar with that.
You might want to try --standalone option.
See if that works for you.

1 Like

Jitsi Videobridge is an application development platform. What @rg305 is asking is: what webserver software are you using (e.g. apache, nginx)?

1 Like

I’m not using one… how do I chose one

1 Like

Is it currently possible to access your Jitsi app from the internet? As in, does your server have a public ip address?

1 Like

Yes it is and yes I can

1 Like

Perfect. That means you certainly have a webserver running. Are you comfortable sharing the ip address?

1 Like

on port 80 via HTTP?

2 Likes

@rg305

A very appropriate question Rudy. :+1:

I’m guessing the answer is probably “yes”.

2 Likes