No more renewal after certbot update from 0.15 to 0.21

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

I ran this command:
certbot --apache

It produced this output:
Cert is due for renewal, auto-renewing…
Renewing an existing certificate
Performing the following challenges:
tls-sni-01 challenge for my.domain.com
Waiting for verification…
Cleaning up challenges
Error in checking parameter list: /etc/init.d/apache2: invalid option – ‘t’

Apache is unable to check whether or not the module is loaded because Apache is misconfigured.

My web server is (include version):
Server version: Apache/2.4.27 (Unix)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Gentoo

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
self hosting

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
no

Dear Let’s Encrypt Community.
I used the certbot-apache gentoo-package in version 0.15.0.dev0 for long time. everything worked fine. even all the apache updates were never problems. but yesterday i updated the certbot-apache package to 0.21.0.dev0
After this updated, the tls-sni-01 challenge fails with the error “Error in checking parameter list: /etc/init.d/apache2: invalid option – ‘t’

With Certbot-Apache 0.15.0.dev0 it worked without any problems. On the Apache side everyhting is ok. Here is the detailed error output of the failing renewal:

Cleaning up challenges
Error in checking parameter list: /etc/init.d/apache2: invalid option – ‘t’

Exiting abnormally:
Traceback (most recent call last):
_ File “/usr/lib/python-exec/python3.5/certbot”, line 11, in _
_ load_entry_point(‘certbot==0.21.0.dev0’, ‘console_scripts’, ‘certbot’)()_
_ File “/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/certbot/main.py”, line 1229, in main_
_ return config.func(config, plugins)_
_ File “/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/certbot/main.py”, line 991, in run_
_ certname, lineage)_
_ File “/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/certbot/main.py”, line 112, in get_and_save_cert
_ renewal.renew_cert(config, domains, le_client, lineage)_
_ File “/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/certbot/renewal.py”, line 297, in renew_cert_
_ new_certr, new_chain, new_key, _ = le_client.obtain_certificate(domains)_
_ File “/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/certbot/client.py”, line 318, in obtain_certificate_
_ self.config.allow_subset_of_names)_
_ File “/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/certbot/auth_handler.py”, line 81, in get_authorizations_
_ self.respond(resp, best_effort)
_ File “/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/certbot/auth_handler.py”, line 141, in respond
_ self.cleanup_challenges(active_achalls)
_ File “/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/certbot/auth_handler.py”, line 284, in cleanup_challenges
_ self.auth.cleanup(achalls)_
_ File “/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/certbot_apache/configurator.py”, line 1905, in cleanup_
_ self.parser.reset_modules()_
_ File “/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/certbot_apache/parser.py”, line 112, in reset_modules_
_ self.update_modules()_
_ File “/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/certbot_apache/parser.py”, line 193, in update_modules_
_ matches = self.parse_from_subprocess(mod_cmd, r"(.*)module")
_ File “/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/certbot_apache/parser.py”, line 207, in parse_from_subprocess_
_ stdout = self.get_runtime_cfg(command)
_ File “/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/certbot_apache/parser.py”, line 236, in get_runtime_cfg
_ "Apache is unable to check whether or not the module is "_
certbot.errors.MisconfigurationError: Apache is unable to check whether or not the module is loaded because Apache is misconfigured.
Apache is unable to check whether or not the module is loaded because Apache is misconfigured.

i found this one at github.
looks like a bug? any news when this one will be merged in the master github? gentoo uses the master github source for the “live-package”.

1 Like

i solved the problem with temporary substituting the apache2ctl command.

the problem exists since version v.0.20 for all Gentoo Systems. Here you can read all details and get the workaround for apache2ctl:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.