No Instructions for my situation?

I have a self hosted site using PC at home, been using it for a couple of years this way, use NO-IP dynamic (w2aiq.ddns.net) use it just to host podcast files (which works fine with just HTTP) but I would now like to add https for people to occasionally visit and not feel like they are going to get hacked with all the ridiculous warnings issued by their browsers!
I dont know why this has to be so difficult
My domain is:w2aiq.ddns.net (actual podcast address: http://w2aiq.ddns.net/wordpress)

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):apache with wordpress

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):windows 10 home

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:self

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):no/ use wordpress, have direct access to the actual physical machine

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): do I really need certbot to get a certificate since I have direct physical machine access

2 Likes

do I really need certbot to get a certificate since I have direct physical machine access

To get a certificate from LetsEncrypt, you have to successfully validate control of the domain on Port80 or DNS. Certbot, and other ACME Clients, automate this process for you, in addition to automating all the technical bits of a Certificate Signing Request. Certbot also automates installing the certificate into Apach for you..

You can use any ACME client. There are many available for windows. There are also online web-based client that can guide you through several bits and automate the rest. Not using an ACME client to get a certificate requires a fairly deep understanding of the ACME protocol, OpenSSL, and how to pull everything off.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Let's Encrypt Community, Mike :slightly_smiling_face:

STOP AND READ THIS IMMEDIATELY!

You are using the Bitnami WordPress Stack. Please use the official Bitnami process in the following reference. It will save you from getting massive migraines.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I'll cut my teeth with this process in a few days!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.