New to Let's Encrypt - Need to add to a domain to an existing cert

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: futurecitiescanada.ca

I ran this command: cerbot certificates

It produced this output:

Certificate Name: futurecitiescanada.ca
Domains: futurecitiescanada.ca www.futurecitiescanada.ca
Expiry Date: 2019-08-02 06:07:06+00:00 (VALID: 66 days)
Certificate Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/futurecitiescanada.ca/fullchain.pem
Private Key Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/futurecitiescanada.ca/privkey.pem

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): YES

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): NO

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): 0.27.1

I am looking to add to the existing certificate I currently have installed. I have not used Let’s Encrypt before nor certbot. I have been reading the doucmentation to get a better understanding of the commands. I would like to add another subdomain to the certficiate. It will be portal.futurecitiescanada.ca. Based on my readings would the following command be correct:

certbot certonly --cert-name futurecitiescanada.ca -d futurecitiescanada.ca,www.futurecitiescanada.ca,portal.futurecitiescanada.ca

Of do I need to change the certificate to a wildcard. Also, before I run this command which confi files would be recommended to backup.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

1 Like

Hi @jsingh70

does portal use the same vHost as the two other domain names?

If yes, the command should work.

If you have a different vHost it may be better to create a new certificate with only portal.futurecitiescanada.ca as domain name.

One vHost -> one certificate.

Thanks for the the information JuergenAuer. The goal is to use the same conf file where the settings for the virtual host for this domain is set. I would just modified the vhost file to include the information regarding portal.futurecitiescanada.ca.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.