Need some help with error message

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:nc.champion-cloud.com

I ran this command: sudo certbot --apache --agree-tos --redirect --staple-ocsp --email admin@champion-cloud.com -d nc.champion-cloud.com

It produced this output:Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator apache, Installer apache
Obtaining a new certificate
Performing the following challenges:
http-01 challenge for nc.champion-cloud.com
Waiting for verification...
Challenge failed for domain nc.champion-cloud.com
http-01 challenge for nc.champion-cloud.com
Cleaning up challenges
Some challenges have failed.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: namecheap

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):i dont know

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

This error is happening because your domain points to a private IP address (192.168.1.105).

In order to issue you a certificate, Let's Encrypt needs to be able to connect to your domain name, to check that you really control this domain.

Since the IP address is part of a private local network, Let's Encrypt can't connect to it. That's what the error is about.

If you want people outside of your local network to be able to connect to your website, you will need to use the public IP address that your ISP gives you, and also to setup port forwarding on your router so that ports 80 and 443 get routed to your webserver.

If you want to continue keeping the website private to your local network, you might be able to acquire a certificate using the DNS challenge, but it can be a bit tricky to do so with Namecheap.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.