Monthly renewals

I’ve found the --apache mode just too much trouble. It didn’t try to fix the existing conf file but added a new 000*.conf one. Now that I know the 3 (important) lines it needs to add/alter in your conf file I changed them myself and just run

#!/bin/sh

sudo service apache2 stop

/opt/letsencrypt/letsencrypt-auto certonly --standalone --email richard.nixon@example.com --agree-tos -d `hostname`

sudo service apache2 start

once to start and every month from a crontab. Hopefully this will work for renewing the certs and won’t run into any “rate limiting” problems when all the crontabs run at the same time each month.

So, can you specify the three lines in question?

Ah, assuming you already had all the ssl-enabling bits there (I had been using a cert signed by my own (untrusted) CA) the 3 lines that point at the certs and key are

#   A self-signed (snakeoil) certificate can be created by installing
    #   the ssl-cert package. See
    #   /usr/share/doc/apache2.2-common/README.Debian.gz for more info.
    #   If both key and certificate are stored in the same file, only the
    #   SSLCertificateFile directive is needed.
    SSLCertificateFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/<hostname>/cert.pem
    SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/<hostname>/privkey.pem

#   Server Certificate Chain:
    #   Point SSLCertificateChainFile at a file containing the
    #   concatenation of PEM encoded CA certificates which form the
    #   certificate chain for the server certificate. Alternatively
    #   the referenced file can be the same as SSLCertificateFile
    #   when the CA certificates are directly appended to the server
    #   certificate for convenience.
    SSLCertificateChainFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/<hostname>/chain.pem

replacing the hostname bit with the DNS name of your server, of course.

I assumed this was the answer, but it is always better when someone gives all of the details. Thank you.

I thought if you use “–standalone” mode it takes over 443 while it’s doing its thing.

In this case it is actually necessary to fully stop apache (or nginx, if nginx were used instead of apache) so that letsencrypt-auto can start its standalone server to prove domain ownership.
In the case of the --webroot variant it would only be necessary to reload apache after letsencrypt-auto has run.

@crazee Actually in your case - since you already have properly configured the SSL part of your virtualhost - you might consider using the --webroot variant, as that would only need a reload of apache afterwards.

Well I didn’t try playing with --webroot 'cuz the roots are in different places on different servers and I’d rather not have someone adding unknown stuff there. Some of them have nothing in / to speak of – they serve up other resources to the user-facing servers.

In any case the script I used seems to work fine for now.