Memory issues building the official client

I ran into an issue running and building certbot-auto. Mid-building GCC gets killed because it runs out of memory, it seems that 1G of RAM is not enough for it. Running htop in parallel shows that running the client makes the system use ~250M ram, ~750M cache and the ratio slowly inverts until ram usage reaches ~500M then it gets killed. I’m running under a VPS, so I can’t add new swap to the system.

Tried to run the client per instructions of https://certbot.eff.org/#ubuntuother-apache; Server is Ubuntu Server 15.04, kernel is 2.6.32-042stab111.12 #1 SMP Thu Sep 17 11:38:20 MSK 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux.

Any help in building?

This is unfortunately a known issue:

Possible workarounds include switching to a distribution with a pre-built client package (e.g. Ubuntu 16.04) or using one of the alternative clients.
You might also succeed in adding a swapfile - it’s not necessary to change your partition scheme or anything like that, so this should work on a VPS as well (not sure if that applies to every virtualization technology, though).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.