Letsencrypt-auto fails at installing python-augeas on Ubuntu 14.04

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better.

My domain is: mail.yoderhome.com

I ran this command: letsencrypt-auto

It produced this output:

My operating system is (include version):
Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS

My web server is (include version):
nginx 1.4.6-1ubuntu3.7

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
self-hosted

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
no

Note: python-augeas seems to be a new Python module, according to pypi. I filed a bug report against Augeas as well: https://github.com/hercules-team/augeas/issues/457

hi @greenmoss

How did you install Letsencrypt-auto

Can you also run

pip freeze

Looke like a package issue.

Andrei

I installed a while ago, so I don’t really remember how I did it, sorry. Should I install it again?

Looking at log output, I’m guessing it’s setting up its own Python virtual environment. Here’s pip freeze:

# source /root/.local/share/letsencrypt/bin/activate
(letsencrypt)root@birch:~# pip freeze
acme==0.12.0
appdirs==1.4.3
asn1crypto==0.22.0
certbot==0.12.0
cffi==1.10.0
ConfigArgParse==0.11.0
configobj==5.0.6
cryptography==1.8.1
enum34==1.1.6
funcsigs==1.0.2
future==0.16.0
idna==2.5
ipaddress==1.0.18
letsencrypt==0.7.0
mock==2.0.0
packaging==16.8
parsedatetime==2.3
pbr==2.0.0
pycparser==2.17
pyOpenSSL==16.2.0
pyparsing==2.2.0
pyRFC3339==1.0
pytz==2017.2
requests==2.13.0
six==1.10.0
zope.component==4.3.0
zope.event==4.2.0
zope.interface==4.3.3

@greenmoss

when running letsencrypt-auto, run it with the switch below

–no-self-upgrade (certbot-auto only) prevent the certbot-auto script
from upgrading itself to newer released versions
(default: Upgrade automatically)

in terms of the augeas package it has a pre-requisite on libxml so try installing that first. It should be a package that’s already installed

apt-get libxml

If that doesn’t work build a separate environment with certbot 11.1.0

Andrei

The python-augeas errors are a known issue with an upstream release of python-augeas that has problems. People who had their certbot-auto auto-update may have encountered this bug, through no fault of their own. Some of the developers told me earlier today that if they let certbot-auto auto-update once again, the problem should now be fixed.

If not, please let me know and I’ll pass the error report along.

Thanks @schoen. I checked pypi and it’s still 1.0.0. As expected, this doesn’t work. I will keep an eye on it for the next pypi release, and try again then.

Ref: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-augeas/1.0.0

EDIT/FIX
The python-augeas code is up on Github, but not yet released to pypi. I didn’t feel like waiting, so here’s what I did that worked:

source /root/.local/share/letsencrypt/bin/activate
pip install git+https://github.com/hercules-team/python-augeas

It’s working, and my certificate is renewed. Thanks!

Hi @greenmoss,

@erica is looking for some information about affected systems

I'm not sure if your data will still be helpful since you've fixed the problem, but it might be.

The data will definitely still be helpful! sha256sum letsencrypt-auto && certbot --version is the most important information for us.

(crossposting in this thread)

To anyone else who might be hitting this issue:

You are likely using an old version of letsencrypt-auto from before we pinned versions of python-augeas. Replacing that script with https://dl.eff.org/certbot-auto (or downloading from any other certbot source) and running as before should fix this issue.

$ sha256sum letsencrypt-auto && certbot --version
81be5fb894f840a306be318a4d1ddd512713f90443c067ed49179b92f8c68785  letsencrypt-auto
certbot: command not found

Update! python-augeas 1.0.2, now on pypi, removes the additional OS dependency and fixes this issue, even for the oldest versions of letsencrypt-auto.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.