Let's Encrypt Succesful But 403 Response?

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to be asking for support, but I really appreciate any guidance. I'm trying to get NextCloud set up on my domain.

NextCloud is working locally on my network. I have set up Let's Encrypt, which was successful, but it is showing 403 on LetsDebug. It is showing the correct IP in the log.

The domain is not redirecting to my IP. I've set up an A Record pointing from the domain to the IP. This is showing correctly on Google.

I have ports 80 and 443 forwarded on the router (to the server IP) and in the firewall (ufw) of the server.

If anyone has any idea where I should be looking to get the DNS to resolve to the server, please let me know! I'm happy to do more research but I've been looking around for hours without a good direction.

Thanks in advance,
J.

My domain is:
now working :smiley:

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):
Yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site:
CPanel

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

Hi @stuff, and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

You have a bit of a complicated situation:

Making changes to the web service is NOT recommended when using cPanel.
That said, I'm not sure how else you can add whatever is required to get NextCloud to work [within cPanel].

I can only add with what I can see [not working]:

curl -Ii https://me.justanon.com/
curl: (7) Failed to connect to me.justanon.com port 443: Connection timed out

Port 443 doesn't seem to reach a listening web service.

6 Likes

Hi @rg305 and thanks a lot for taking a look. Is CPanel relevant if I'm only using it to set the DNS A Record to the router IP forwarded to the server IP?

NextCloud is running on the server itself and I haven't made any other changes in CPanel. As far as I can tell, I just need to get the domain to point to the router and forward to the server.

Would LetsDebug still succeed if port 443 isn't connecting?

It feels like either something is wrong with the port forwarding or it's a firewall issue, but I can't seem to pinpoint it.

(Note: The server will be offline in about 1hr as I am going to bed)

It is generally used to manage all the web server's settings, so, yes - very relevant

LD doesn't normally check HTTPS/port 443, so it would likely succeed [on port 80 tests].

4 Likes

Please show the output of:
netstat -pant | grep -i listen

2 Likes

I think I've got it working - my router had external port 443 forwarding to internal 4433, even though I edited it it several times, it kept setting it back to 4433. I deleted the record and forwarded to 443 again and NextCloud is showing up remotely. Now I just need to do some research into keeping the network secure :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for taking the time to look into it @rg305

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.