LAMP installation

I just installed LAMP on my server following this tutorial …

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/install-apache-with-php-and-mysql-on-ubuntu-18-04-lamp/

In the tutorial the author tells you to install letsencrypt with the following command “certbot --apache -d example.com”. I did that and I did end up with a certificate. I was wondering if my certificate was set for auto renew? In the next section of the tutorial the authors says to issue the following command “/etc/cron.d/certbot”. At first Ubuntu said I didn’t have permissions for that file even though I was root. I changed the file permissions with chmod a+x. I also created a new user. I’m able to view the contents of the file with “cat /etc/cron.d/certbot” and here are the results…

/etc/cron.d/certbot: crontab entries for the certbot package

Upstream recommends attempting renewal twice a day

Eventually, this will be an opportunity to validate certificates

haven’t been revoked, etc. Renewal will only occur if expiration

is within 30 days.

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

0 */12 * * * root test -x /usr/bin/certbot -a ! -d /run/systemd/system && perl -e ‘sleep int(rand(43200))’ && certbot -q renew

I also tried “openssl x509 -in /etc/letsencrypt/live/funkybitco.in/cert.pem -noout -dates”…here are the results…

notBefore=Aug 28 13:32:29 2018 GMT
notAfter=Nov 26 13:32:29 2018 GMT

I’m not sure if my certificate is on auto-renew. Any help?

Hi,

If you setup the cron.d already, that means your certificate is attempted to renew automatically… however, I’m not sure if your cert would auto renew (since many factors affect this and results can vary)… But the syntax looks good… (And howtoforge most of times provide a correct setup)

Thank you

Are you willing to check again on October 29? If it’s renewed then, it’s working. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.