Ipv6 only, A record missing (solved, was only a mistyped domain name)

Hello together,

My domain is: radi.invisibletower.de

I ran this command: sudo ./certbot-auto certonly --standalone -d radi.invisibeltower.de

It produced this output:

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator standalone, Installer None
Obtaining a new certificate
Performing the following challenges:
http-01 challenge for radi.invisibeltower.de
Waiting for verification...
Cleaning up challenges
Failed authorization procedure. radi.invisibeltower.de (http-01): urn:acme:error:connection :: The server could not connect to the client to verify the domain :: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up A for radi.invisibeltower.de

IMPORTANT NOTES:
 - The following errors were reported by the server:

   Domain: radi.invisibeltower.de
   Type:   connection
   Detail: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up A for
   radi.invisibeltower.de

   To fix these errors, please make sure that your domain name was
   entered correctly and the DNS A/AAAA record(s) for that domain
   contain(s) the right IP address. Additionally, please check that
   your computer has a publicly routable IP address and that no
   firewalls are preventing the server from communicating with the
   client. If you're using the webroot plugin, you should also verify
   that you are serving files from the webroot path you provided.

My web server is (include version) a raspberry 3

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): rasbian (debian 9.3)

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

More info:

sudo ./certbot-auto --version
certbot 0.21.0

I have an AAAA record but no A record because my host is ipv6 only (Raspberry Pi @ home).

For you to check the connection, I have started an unconfigured haproxy. As you can see, it returns a 503 Service Unavailable which is haproxy saying that it is running but without a default backend.

When using certbot, I stop the haproxy service first to free port 80.

I read several other discussions in this community, suggesting that ipv6 only hosts should be possible.

Thanks for any help,
Daniel

Are you sure you have an AAAA record?

Hm. I just also did the test from unboundtest.com without changing any configuration (except exiting my local ssh connection to my raspberry, but this is irrelevant I believe) and got this result

https://unboundtest.com/m/AAAA/radi.invisibletower.de/CJH3Z6UJ

Then I changed the TTL for that domain from 60 seconds to 300 seconds and tried again:

https://unboundtest.com/m/AAAA/radi.invisibletower.de/NMIGGIFK

Both times it returned the correct address: [2a02:8071:1a9:2e00:8ca5:fe66:f6e:1af]

I don’t understand why this didn’t worked the first time when you did it.

I just retried the certbot command twice (within 300 secs), but still the same error.

Ah, then it’s probably because you mistyped it :wink:

:expressionless: damn you’re right. It worked. Thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.