Installing Let's Encrypt into printer server

Hi! My printer has the option to import .cert files to encrypt connections from computers. I wonder if there is any way to generate the Letsencrypt .cert file using an internal domain name or IP number. Any advice is welcome! :slight_smile:

The DNS challenge is probably the best / easiest. all the Bash and Go alternate clients support this ( and maybe a few others )

"Internal domain name" suggests (to me) a non-public host name..? Perhaps @itmonitor could clarify if it's an actual public available host name.

For the DNS challenge it doesn’t need an external A record or anything ( as long as it’s within a domain you own, and you can add a TXT record to the DNS )

It's quite hard for Boulder to find the TXT record for hp1600.home.local :wink: That's what I meant.

Unless @itmonitor gives us more information, it's not really possible to give a good and solid advice.

“internal domain name” could equally be “printer2.myrealdomain.com” I understand where you are coming from though.

Thank you for the replies. Yes, I mean a non-public host name. Yes, that could be like printer. mydomain.com or even a local domain like the ones used to generate a self-signing certificate.

If you mean “printer.mydomain.com” or similar where “mydomain.com” is a domain you own and control - yes that’s possible with the DNS challenge.

If you mean a local domain like “printer.made_up_name.local” then it’s not possible to obtain a certificate for it.

Serverco, many thanks. It is clear for me now. This thread is solved. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.