Incorrect response code from ACME server: 500


we use the certificates with a UTM from Sophos. We changed the public IP yesterday, is it possible that yours is blocked? IP=

Can you show more of the error message? Because a 500 code is not what happens when Let's Encrypt blocks your IP.

Answers to the other questions on the form you were shown would also be helpful


Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. |, so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):


What does this show:

curl -v

Please copy/paste the result rather than screen shot.


Also, does the UTM provide debugging logs? Because those few lines are not telling very much in terms of details.


no, thats the only log :frowning:

cant do this on the UTM

Is that a new UTM device too? Without more info there's not much to say. You should try Sophos support. Or, search this forum for similar problems.

I have searched Sophos UTM forums in the past and see 500 errors caused by misconfigured UTM. It is probably something like that and not related to Let's Encrypt.

An example thread here but I think Sophus forum is better option


It was still working a few days ago :frowning: Sophos doesn't know anything about it, I've already spoken to them. Many people seem to have the problem with a UTM

Have you checked on the Sophos forums? This search shows 34 similar problems.'s%20Encrypt&t=AllTab&sort=relevancy&f:@sophossourcetype=[Community]

Nothing has changed in Let's Encrypt in last couple days that should cause any problems. And, if it was a general problem with LE we would be seeing numerous reports here but yours is the only one. This is most likely something with your UTM.


Probably this: Let's Encrypt Status

Should be fixed now.


This thread was started before that event, so it’s unrelated.


Thanks I see the previous posts with the same error now:

In that thread they apparently deleted the ISRG Root X1 CA cert from the UTM and it fixed the problem. Weird!


This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.