As of right now we have dozens of customers awaiting SSL cert for nearly a week, but more importantly, we’re now 14 days away from expiring production certs on thousands of existing customers.
It’s typical for us to sometimes run into this message with our old acme v1 certbot client:
There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new authz :: too many currently pending authorizations: see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/
It usually can be solved with the clear-authz script. However, our logs seemed to have rolled away any of the relevant log messages necessary for
clear-authz to function successfully. Therefore, we cannot clear these ourselves, and must wait for the full 7 day duration.
However, it’s now been 8 days.
We’ve been getting this
too many currently pending steadily since Dec 31st, without any apparent break. Today is Jan 8th. That is 8 full days without a break from this rate-limit. When we noticed it and tried to run our clear-authz script, it was already Jan 6th, and the necessary logs for clear-authz had rolled away.
You will undoubtedly criticize our use of an old acme v1 client, which is good criticism. We have finally gotten internal approval to seriously enhance or completely replace this with a modern client as a Q1 goal for 2020, however right now we’re in serious trouble and just need to get past this rate-limit.
Note: we are hitting this rate-limit ONLY in your staging environment. Our system uses your staging environment for our production solution (yes yes, another thing we’ll have to change very soon). We’re currently scrambling to get it to use production only.