I need help getting started. I have some questions

I use hostgator and I have a reseller account. I clicked on getting started and saw that I would need to choose either the option with shell access or no shell access. I checked my hostgator account and saw that I can enable shell access on my own and so I did.

I read through the forums and saw that other hostgator users had to pay $10 to have them install the cert. If I have shell access, do I still need to have hostgator install my cert for me or can I just do it myself?

I don’t have a cert yet as I’m trying to figure out what to do first and how to obtain one. On the shell access option it just mentions something about installing a certbot. Would that be the first step? Sorry, I’m just a little confused and wondering if someone could hold my hand through the process :>

Thank you in advance…

Hi @Feather,

You can only install without their help if you have root access (not just shell access). I think this is never the case on HostGator. I guess the documentation has omitted to mention this important detail.

I have mentioned to people, most recently a few minutes ago in

that if you have to pay HostGator $10 every time you install a certificate, Let's Encrypt will actually be a money-losing option for you in comparison to buying a longer-lived certificate from another CA. HostGator policies make us not the most economical option for HostGator's customers.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.