How to upload certbot to my file manager

I just downloaded the certbot and I simply want to do what file to upload for use for a certificate. I don't know what file to upload and then how to do this.
I just updated my laptop a while back and no longer have the ftp manager. Do I need to upload through that interface instead of through the simple one via my server?
Regards,

Hello @tseyigai,

Everything depends on what type of web hosting you are using. It's possible that Certbot is not even the right choice for you, but we don't know without more information.

Would you please be able to fill the questionnaire in?

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

2 Likes

My domain is:stephenhansonprophet.com

I ran this command: Haven't run it yet. Asking for help

It produced this output: same as above

My web server is (include version): Chrome

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):Windows 10

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: iPage

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): control panel/file manager

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):certbot-beta-installer-win32

1 Like

Hi @tseyigai,

These questions are all asking about the computer where your web site is hosted, not your own computer.

From what I see about iPage here

https://www.ipage.com/security/ssl-certificate

it looks like they are trying to sell you a certificate, and may not allow you to install your own certificate from another CA like Let's Encrypt at all. Are you sure that iPage even permits you to use third-party certificates? If your web host doesn't allow this, there's no way to work around it, except by changing web hosts.

2 Likes

No, I'm not trying to sell that. I simply want to be able to do what I have asked. OK?

Sorry, I didn't mean that you are trying to sell something, I mean that your web host (iPage) may want you to pay them money in order for them to allow you to use any certificate.

Installing or configuring any certificate always requires the permission or cooperation of the web host or the system administrator. There is no way to do this without having suitable permission from that entity. That's why I'd like to know more about whether iPage provides you an option to upload third-party certificates, or doesn't. If they don't, then there is no way that you can use a Let's Encrypt certificate in your iPage account, because the technical ability to permit or refuse this is (only) within iHost's control.

2 Likes

I understand, however when I looked at one of the sub categories form certbot it indicated that iPage had documentation on how or if one could install certbot. Perhaps I didnt understand though.

1 Like

I see, you were looking at this page

I think this is a sign that the text on this page needs to be rephrased. I was involved in the project that led to creating this page, and this page was intended as a response to the same issue that @_az mentioned above (that Certbot isn't the right choice for everyone). The goal of the Certbot project in making this page is to help prospective Certbot users realize that, if they use one of the listed providers, they don't need to use Certbot at all and can use some other (easier) method. We should look at how to make that distinction more apparent.

I'd agree that that page implies that you should be able to use a Let's Encrypt certificate with iPage for free, but it doesn't explain how we know this. I went back and found the reference and it is

which links to

https://www.ipage.com/help/article/enable-your-free-ssl

which is no longer available (!!).

According to the Internet Archive, iPage took that page down sometime in the past couple of years. :frowning:

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but my conclusion is that the Certbot site's hosting provider list that you looked at is out-of-date in this regard and that iPage longer offers support for Let's Encrypt. This also goes to show that we need to institute some kind of review process to check to make sure that web hosts that are listed like this don't change their minds and stop offering Let's Encrypt integrations without our noticing. :frowning:

1 Like

@erica do you have any thoughts on how Certbot and/or the forum could best respond to this? (First, that some users think the hosting provider list on certbot.eff.org refers to providers that support the use of Certbot, rather than providers where the use of Certbot is unnecessary; second, that we have a case of a provider that used to offer free LE certs but then later stopped.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.