How to renew ceritifcate

I have a domain for which I manage DNS through the digital ocean. My subdomain is an API service api.example.com while example.com is redirected to another ip from digital ocean DNS where my landing page is hosted. My API is running using nginx but there is no config for example.com in nginx

I want to update the cert for this example.com

certbot certonly --force-renew -d example.com

It shows three options

How would you like to authenticate with the ACME CA?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1: Nginx Web Server plugin (nginx)
2: Spin up a temporary webserver (standalone)
3: Place files in the webroot directory (webroot)

And when I try with 1 or 2 it fails /.well-known/acme-challenge/HpWl2O9KcpkzKgnVpyYJFAIm_qjpyW6mlO7DLU-FITM: 404

If you are renewing your root domain cert how did you get it the first time?

You say example.com has no nginx config so where did its cert come from?

Sometimes people change too much when trying to hide info. Are you instead just trying to get a cert for your api.example.com?

2 Likes

Do NOT use this option if you do NOT know what it's actually used for. That goes for any option, really. Don't use options you do not know the actual working of.

This option does not maaaaagically make the validation work...

Also:

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.