How to check if my auto-renew is setup and working properly?

The last time my certificate expired it screwed up everything and cost me so much time and money to get everything back working again. I think I set up auto-renew to avoid this problem in the future, but I can’t remember 100%. How do I check and how do I make sure this will never happen again? Thanks!

My domain is: www.whiteboxfitness.com

I ran this command: N/A

It produced this output: N/A

My web server is (include version): Amazon Linux

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): whatever Amazon Linux runs on

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: AWS

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): not really

Hi @kend0g187,

How did you obtain and install your certificate?

I think by following some tutorial on this site.

We’ll need to know what software and commands you’re using for your certificates in order to help you. If you’re using the command line on your server, you might be able to see your command history by running history.

This was months ago so finding it in history will be difficult, but I found the tutorial that I followed here: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/SSL-on-an-instance.html#letsencrypt

It’s in the section titled “Appendix: Let’s Encrypt with Certbot on Amazon Linux”

I was using the command line and something called Certbot.

Great, do you have the crontab entry that the tutorial suggested creating?

I’m sure I do, although I don’t know what that means. Layman here. I know how to ssh into the server and run commands, but someone has to tell me what commands to run.

In this case, you could try

sudo grep certbot /etc/crontab

Well, unfortunately I now have bigger problems as AWS instructed me to terminate my “Elastic Beanstalk” environment which released my IP and broke my ability to SSH or FTP to my site, or access my site in a browser.

So what does this mean?

This means: at 1:39 (both am and pm) the command certbot-auto renew --no-self-upgrade is run as user root.

This should be fine.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.