How many domains certificates can be created in a day?

Hello!

I have a bunch of domains (up to 10k) all of them different .. I need a certificate for all those apex domains only.

I wonder how many domains I can request to letsencrypt via certbot in a row? Are there any limits per hour, week, month, ip addr, ip cidr?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

The main problem would be the New Orders rate limit. (One order = one attempt to make a certificate.)

For users of the ACME v2 API you can create a maximum of 300 New Orders per account per 3 hours. A new order is created each time you request a certificate from the Boulder CA, meaning that one new order is produced in each certificate request. Exceeding the New Orders limit is reported with the error message too many new orders recently.

You can request a rate limit increase, but that would take longer than issuing 10,000 certificates over a few days.

You could consider creating fewer certificates with multiple domains, but that makes it difficult to manage adding and removing domains, and it's difficult to manage without advanced automation.

You should also check out the integration guide.

4 Likes

Thanks, very useful!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.