How can I determine if my certificate is staging or production?

I received an email beginning with...

You issued a testing cert (not a live one) from Let's Encrypt staging environment. This mail takes the place of what would normally be a renewal reminder, but instead is demonstrating delivery of renewal notices. Have a nice day!

I hired someone to do a migration in kubernetes for me, so this may (or may not) be a valid warning. I am using cert-manager for Kubernetes.

Question: How can I determine if my certificate is staging or production? and if it is "staging" are there instructions for getting a production certificate? The website (www.hippocampusanalytics.com) is working right now and I would like for it to remain working!

Thank you!!!

Hello! It is possible that whoever set up your cert-manager started with a test cert, and later switched to a "production" one. You currently have a production cert, which we know because it is trusted by my web browser and others. As such, it seems safe to ignore this email.

You can verify by using your browser's "view certificate" feature, where you can see it's signed by Let's Encrypt (It may be labelled "ISRG X1", "R3", or other names, depending on the browser and how you view it).

The staging roots and intermediates have funny names, all of which are clearly marked starting with (STAGING)

(STAGING) Pretend Pear X1
(STAGING) Bogus Brocoli X2
(STAGING) Artificial Apricot R3
(STAGING) Ersatz Edamame E1

12 Likes

Thank you very much!! :bouquet:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.