Getting Started - Choosing the right automated cert tool

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: shapemd.ca

I ran this command: None

It produced this output: None

My web server is (include version):

Brook5 Framework (like Apache)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

Windows Server 2016 10.0.143.93

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

Myself, on my own server.

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I have full Admin level access.

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

Brook5 Framework is a Lazarus based (Free Pascal), Microsoft Windows stand alone executable. It's super simple to use and dishes out HTML as fast as NgineX.

The version of my client is: This is where I need help. I have not chosen a client yet.

What is a good Let's Encrypt client to use on Windows Server 2016 ?
I was reading somewhere that I should use LEGO, but now I can't find the link to it on this site, except under the programming language headers, and I don't use any of those languages, and I'm wondering why that even matters.

I'm thinking, I should be able to get a stand alone, Microsoft .exe, that does what ever it needs to do, to get a new cert. I can run it as a scheduled task. I can configure it to run a "shutdown" task to shut down my Brook5 Framework based web server, and restart when the new cert arrives. But I just don't know which client I'm supposed to download. My understanding is that CertBot is for Unix, so I shd not use it for my Microsoft Server OS.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

There are two Windows ACME clients that get plenty of mention and support on this forum:

[there are other WIndows clients but those two seem to be at the top of that list (to me)]

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.