Get certificate with nginx plugin but disable cron task possible?

Hi is it possible to use certbot and the plugin nginx to get and install the certificate but not install the cron job ?

I've looked at User Guide — Certbot 2.10.0 documentation but didn't found an argument to specify this.

Thanks.

1 Like

It's possible, but your certificate will expire in 90 days without the cronjob or systemd timer to automatically renew it.

What are you trying to do?

3 Likes

Thanks @9peppe

Yes I'm well aware.. so which argument prevent to install the cron job ?

1 Like

I'm not sure. The cronjob or timer should come with the installer.

3 Likes

"funny"

I just did a certbot --nginx -d mysub.domain.com

and I can't found the cron job on my system :confused: what is the cron job file name generated by --nginx pluing ? Thanks.

1 Like

Try systemctl list-timers

3 Likes

Thanks but I don't use systemd

1 Like

Ok, how did you install certbot?

3 Likes

Certbot itself (as in, the Python application) does not install any cronjob or systemd timers.

The recommended method of installing Certbot is using snap and the official Certbot snap does install a systemd timer. (But you're not using systemd, thus also you're not using snap and of course no systemd timer too.)

Some OS repository packages install a cronjob when installing the package (I believe Debians and Ubuntus packages do that, but e.g. Gentoo does not). Thus that might or might not be the case for you.

If you install Certbot using pip, no cronjob or systmd timer is installed.

5 Likes

Thank you very much @Osiris :+1:

I installed Certbot trough apt if I remember right.

and indeed it didn't install any cronjob , and it's perfect like this :slight_smile:

Thanks again to everyone.

2 Likes