Four subdomains - one fail

I have a domain with four subdomains. I use letsencrypt every 3 months to automatically renew the certificates. This time however, one of the four subdomains (“support.spider-e.com”) is causing errors. The other three have renewed without any problem.

The four domains are:

mqtt.spider-e.com
support.spider-e.com
bugs.spider-e.com

Only ‘support’ is giving me any trouble.

I have manually checked the .conf files and checked the file permissions for all of the subdomains, and cannot find any difference. I also used nslookup to check that the name resolves to the correct IP address.

My domain is:
support.spider-e.com

I ran this command:
letsencrypt-auto --staging
and / or
letsencrypt-auto

It produced this output:
Plugins selected: Authenticator apache, Installer apache
Which names would you like to activate HTTPS for?

1: bugs.spider-e.com
2: mqtt.spider-e.com
3: support.spider-e.com
4: wphost.spider-e.com

Select the appropriate numbers separated by commas and/or spaces, or leave input
blank to select all options shown (Enter ‘c’ to cancel): 3
Obtaining a new certificate
Performing the following challenges:
http-01 challenge for support.spider-e.com
Waiting for verification…
Cleaning up challenges

Failed authorization procedure. support.spider-e.com (http-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized :: The client lacks sufficient authorization :: Invalid response from http://support.spider-e.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/0D-r0ICaEYUzSMNgokSBSByTWnhC4xP9wwhTVTKDa2Q: “<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC “-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN”>\n<html><head>\n<title>404 Not Found</title>\n</head><body>\n<h1>Not Found</h1>\n<p”

IMPORTANT NOTES:

To fix these errors, please make sure that your domain name was
entered correctly and the DNS A/AAAA record(s) for that domain
contain(s) the right IP address.

My web server is (include version):
Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Linux IS-28868 4.4.0-64-generic #85-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 20 11:50:30 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
EasySpace

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
YES

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
NO

Any ideas what to check next?

What’s this show?

apachectl -t -D DUMP_VHOSTS
kenny@IS-28868:~$ apachectl -t -D DUMP_VHOSTS
AH00526: Syntax error on line 30 of /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default-le-ssl.conf:
SSLCertificateFile: file '/etc/letsencrypt/live/bugs.spider-e.com/cert.pem' does not exist or is empty
Action '-t -D DUMP_VHOSTS' failed.
The Apache error log may have more information.

You may want to fix that issue with the bugs.spider-e.com VirtualHost first, and then run the command again.

Seems like you may have deleted a certificate you were using.

Thanks - I’ll do that and see how I get on.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.